An Early page from my Canadian Album

Discussion in 'World Stamps' started by desertgem, Sep 24, 2011.

1. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Gimme :D Just me been greedy :oops: I think I have most of those and they are lovely

3. Sam B

Sam B Active Member

Can I have this sheet of stamps????
    LOL!

4. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Nice stamps. I always get a kick out of Canada putting a beaver on their first stamps. While GB had Queen Victoria and the US had Ben Franklin. lol :D

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

LOL yes i have wondered about the beaver as well lol

nice set of stamps DG

kacyds likes this.
  6. firstguild

firstguild New Member

That is a very interesting cancel on the first 10 cent stamp. Do you have any idea where it was cancelled? I've collected Canadian for some time, and I don't remember that type of cancel. Has anyone else seen that type of cancel?

7. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

That series of stamps were issued in 1859, and the "target" type of cancellation had been used in Canada since 1851 according to Robson Lowe's Encyclopedia of British Empire postage Stamps Vol.V. see page below. They are considered "Dumb" since there is nothing to indicate where or when used.

View attachment 921

By the way, if you specialize in British North America, the Encyclopedia is extremely useful.

Jim

Jim

8. firstguild

firstguild New Member

Oh that is marvellous Jim, thank you so much for posting this. I wasn't aware of Robson Lowe's Encyclopedia of British Empire postage Stamps Vol.V. Now that I am, I will certainly make an effort to find it on the internet. Hopeful a used copy that won't cost the earth. I love the early cancels. One of the thigks I like to collect is envelopes, not just first day covers, but just envelopes, or the folded letters that were used before envelopes were developed. The stamps interest me greatly, but also the interesting cancels and the addressing and other writing found on early items.

9. desertgem

desertgem Active Member

It also has more info on forgeries and counterfeits than the Serrane guide which is more European, and general history and odd facts that I haven't read much elsewhere, although a Specialized Canadian might have it.

I am really glad you brought up the cancellation as I hadn't cracked Vol. 5 for a while, and once I did, it was irresistible to read parts of it again :)

Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted