Alternatives to Ebay??

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by Philbeaux, May 27, 2015.

1. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

I currently get probably 90% of my stamps from Ebay. But those are usually little auctions - $20 or less odds and ends. I seem to always miss out the really good items thanks to snipers. I can usually pick up some good stuff at the occasional stamp show that happens in my neck of the woods, but those are few and far between. Consequently, very few of the dealers I do meet are interested in an on-line presence.

I've heard about my-little-auction.com from some posts here and plan to check them out as well as BidStart.com, but can anyone here recommend some dealers that are actually on-line?

2. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, I also probably buy 90% of my (high denomination) stamps on Ebay from US or European sources. HD stamps are rarely used within Thailand..
    IE a 5 kg (11 lb) parcel costs as little as 61 baht ($1.80) to send anywhere in the country. The same parcel sent at the highest rate, EMS Super Speed costs 450 baht ($13.28). With a National daily wage of just 300 baht ($8.85) not many people use that service.
    My nearest dealers are all based in Bangkok, 3½ hours drive away, I buy my kiloware there and the odd stamp to complete a set, but only go about twice per year.

Regards James.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

You mention BidStart which is my source of choice next to the APS Stamp Store.

Many of the vendors there have websites for their on-line stores... just have to filter through them. Stanley Gibbons, Gary Posner, Appelbaum just to name a few.

Another source is the APS magazine "American Philatelist"... many of the ads list their websites for topicals, countries, etc.

James-2489 likes this.
  4. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Should also mention Kenmore Stamps and Mystic stamps which sell retail... I only use them for non-common issues and stamp supplies like stockbooks, etc. Amos (Linn's source) also has supplies.

James-2489 likes this.
  5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

I have a couple of suggestions for you. Linn's Stamp News used to link Zillions of Stamps to their website. They have a newly designed website and I couldn't find the link, but it still exists. It's a search engine that matches wants with dealers that have the stamps a person is looking for. I have used it to my satisfaction. Another is KMP Stamp Auction. It's kind of like Ebay in that it uses PayPal but isn't quite so popular so sometimes a bargain can be had. I have also used it to my satisfaction. I will link the two below.
    http://zillionsofstamps.com/
    http://www.kmphilately.com/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    SATX Collector and James-2489 like this.
  6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think lots of eBay alternatives such as mentioned sites. Just need to be careful on dealing with the sellers.

7. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

There's plenty of sellers to look out for on Ebay too!

And I'll look at those sites Hochstrasse, thanks.

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Well there is even little me selling, just depends what you are looking for.

9. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

I will definitely check out your site and see what you have.

10. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello, I had a brief look at both sites, they look interesting, I shall look in occasionally

James.

11. tasha

tasha Active Member

you should have a look on google search engine for some other options as ebay is sometimes a process. I have found some good stamps in coin and vintage stores as well as on gumtree with other stamp collectors.

12. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

I've searched many times on Google and seriously, the majority of what I come up with is sites that haven't been updated in several years.

13. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think those sites with no updates for too long are not that reliable to use anymore.

14. tasha

tasha Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted