Aircraft on Covers

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Feb 12, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

As a companion thread to Aircraft on Stamps, I will post a few pages from my Aircraft on Covers collection. Here is a cover bearing the likeness of the Benoist Flying Boat which is also feature on the $1 coil stamp issued by the U.S. in 1990 as one of the Transportation Coil series. The airplane carried only two people, one passenger and the pilot. It cruised at 65 mph!

Don

The cover:

aaa.jpg
    The stamp:

aaa2.jpg

Makanudo, Molokai and Werner Salentin like this.
  2. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Lovely cover <Don> and a tri-color into the bargain!

Makanudo likes this.
  3. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

Hello all,

Don,
    I can contribute to the thread only with this german cover:

onj.jpg

4. DonSellos

Makanudo:

Very nice cancel. Great image of a Douglas DC-4 or in this case the military version, C-54 Skymaster. Looks like the cancel is commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift. A highly collectible cover for us Aircraft on Covers collectors.

I have not seen this cancel before. Thanks for the post.

Don

Makanudo likes this.
  5. DonSellos

A Ford 5-AT is the aircraft on this cover. Henry Ford purchased the Stout Metal Airplane Company in 1925 and developed the Ford Tri-motor from the original Stout single engine Stout Pullman.

Don

aaa.jpg

Molokai and Makanudo like this.
  6. DonSellos

There is currently discussion on another thread about travelling post offices and sea post There was also in the U.S. a short-lived experiment to use aircraft to sort mail. I don't think mail was actually canceled on these flights, just sorted. At least, I have never seen a flying mail car cancel. Here is a cover commemorating the inauguration of this service featuring a Fairchild Packet, Flying Boxcar.

Don

aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  7. DonSellos

A little off topic in this case, but it is an extension of the travelling post office thread again. To counter the decline of the railway post offices in the U.S. the postal service inaugurated highway post offices (HPO) in 1941, I believe. The HPOs were buses configured to carry and sort mail while in route. One of these came through the town I lived in when I was a teenager. Here's a cover that commemorates its route.

HPOs didn't routinely cancel much mail on the vehicles. They dispatched and picked up mail at the post offices on their route, but it was already canceled in most instances. The majority of HPO cancels are first-trip cancels and philatelic in nature. Highway post office cancellations on non-philatelic mail are not so easy to find.

Don

Attached Files:

• aaa.jpg
      aaa.jpg
      File size:
      576.9 KB
      Views:
    Molokai likes this.
  8. DonSellos

Today's aircraft on covers is a little unusual in that it is a private airplane as opposed to commercial airliner or military aircraft. The majority of aircraft on stamps and covers are either commercial or military. If one looks closed at the airplane in the cachet, probably using a magnifier of some kind, it is possible to see the Federal Aviation Registration number on the fuselage of the airplane. By going to the FAA data base for aircraft registration one can find the current owner and location of this airplane. The airplane is a Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee, a very popular design for pilot training and personal use.

Don

aaa.jpg

Molokai likes this.
  9. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

Great stuff, Don! Thanks for sharing. Did not know of the HPOs at all.

I think I can see Sky King and Penny in the Piper!

DonSellos likes this.
  10. DonSellos

This airplane won't appear on many stamps or covers since it did not go into production. Cover produced by the Lockheed Stamp Club. Many businesses had their own stamp clubs back in the 1940s.

Don

aaa2.jpg aaa.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted