Aircraft images on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

FlugF1746.jpg
    issued April 17th,1971

DonSellos likes this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Hi Werner:

Nice stamp! A Douglas DC-4 on what looks like a short final approach to a night or instrument landing. Very similar to the 1959 stamp, Sc. B329 depicting a DC-3 in the same scene. One doesn't see many stamps depicting aircraft in night operations. France has put out several attractive aircraft on stamps.

Don

aaa..jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  3. DonSellos

Aircraft on stamps from Anguilla. Not one of my larger collections, only one page and those with airplanes frequently seen on stamps of many other countries.

Don

aaa.jpg

4. Werner Salentin

FlugF1797.jpg
    issued June 10th,1972

DonSellos likes this.
  5. DonSellos

Continuing alphabetically with my UK colonials, commonwealths, dominions, and protectorates, here are my mounted aircraft stamps from Antigua. Antigua included some interesting and infrequently seen aircraft on stamps.

On the first page, the Douglas C-124 Globemaster is rarely depicted. It was an early (1949) heavy hauler aircraft that could accommodate 95% of the army's field equipment without disassembly.

The fourth page includes a stamp depicting one of Curtiss' "Hawk" series, the F9C Sparrow Hawk biplane. It is shown with the U.S. Navy's airship U.S.S. Akron. They are accurately portrayed together as the Sparrow Hawk was designed to be carried inflight by the airship as a detachable fighter aircraft to protect the airship from enemy air attack.

On page five, I would point out the 30 cents stamp depicting the Messerschmitt ME 262, a truly amazing airplane, well ahead of its time with the potential of changing the air war in Europe. Fortunately for the allied cause, Hitler insisted the ME 262 be designed and built as a light bomber which delayed its entry into the war.

All-in-all, an attractive group of aircraft stamps from the small island of Antigua produced for collectors like me.

I notice that I am missing a stamp on the last page. Undoubtedly, I inadvertently purchased a short set. Wasn't paying attention to the listing, I guess. The chances of my finding the missing stamp offered as a single are small to none. I'll probably have to buy the whole set again.

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg aaa2-scfopt(1).jpg aaa3.jpg aaa5.jpg

6. DonSellos

And a couple of pages from Ascension island. Mostly frequently seen aircraft on stamps. The exception might be the 24p stamp on page one featuring an image of the Lockheed C5-A Galaxy. Don't know if it still holds, but at the time of its design and manufacture in 1966-1968, the C5-A was the largest aircraft in the world.

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg

anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  7. Werner Salentin

FlugF1823.jpg
    issued Feb.24th,1973

anglobob likes this.
  8. anglobob

anglobob Well-Known Member

The latest airmail stamp from France,commemorating the 50th anniversary of the first Concorde flight.
    A really impressive stamp Concorde 50th anniv.jpg ...my French collection ended in 2018,but this might encourage me to continue

9. Molokai

Molokai Well-Known Member

The Concorde was ahead of its time. The pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their back.

10. DonSellos

This is actually a first-day cover with 25 stamps issued by South Africa to commemorate aircraft instrumental in the development of the country's aviation history. There is an accompanying card identifying the aircraft in the order of their appearance in the sheet. I purchased this item on eBay from a South African dealer in August of 2001.

Don

aaa2a.jpg

Molokai, anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  11. DonSellos

Australian stamps from my British Commonwealth countries Aircraft on Stamps Collection. While Australia has produced many attractive aircraft stamps, the ones that most interest me are on the third page of this post, i.e. the Commonwealth aircraft, the CA-6 Wackett, the CA-19 Boomerang, and the CA-25 Winjeel, and the GAF Nomad. These aircraft were designed and manufactured in Australia and, most likely, will not be portrayed on the stamps of other countries. The Wackett and Winjeel are military training aircraft. The Wackett from the WW II period and the Winjeel from the 1950s. The Boomerang is a WW II vintage fighter. The Nomad is a 1970s short-haul utility aircraft.

Don

20190224_103402-scfopt-1.jpg 20190225_065716-scfopt.jpg 20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa.jpg aaa1-scfopt.jpg

Molokai, anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  12. DonSellos

I have only one page each of Aircraft on Stamps from the Bahamas and the Barbados so I am posting them together. A good selection of aircraft, but most frequently seen on other stamps. Exceptions are the Bahamas strip of five which included a Mooney Mark 22, but it is in the background, and the Handley-Page Victor on the 30c Barbados.

Don

aaa3 (2).jpg aaa3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  13. DonSellos

Continuing with the BC countries, I have only one page of mounted stamps from Bermuda and Brunei. In 1972, Brunei issued two stamps, Sc. 184-185, depicting a Blackburn "Beverly." Blackburn is an old British aircraft firm dating back almost to the beginning of aviation. It merged with General Aircraft in 1949 and I don't know if it is still designing and producing aircraft under its name. The Beverly was a cargo carrier/troop transport aircraft that went into service in 1955. It is not often seen on stamps and, thus, these two are Brunei's best contribution to aircraft on stamps, in my opinion. .

Don

20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa1-scfopt (2).jpg

anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  14. DonSellos

A single page from the Cayman Islands followed by a few from the Falklands.

Don

20190225_065716-scfopt.jpg 20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa.jpg aaa1.jpg View attachment 10813 aaa1-scfopt.jpg

15. DonSellos

Fiji has issued several stamps depicting aircraft and it was one of the first countries that I drew pages for back in the 1980s and early 90s. The Fiji postal authority was most accommodating in that it issued its aircraft stamps in sets and they were easily acquired from sellers.

Of those depicted, I believe my favorite is the Bell P-39 Airacobra, page three, row three, far left stamp. It is a late 1930s design that was used by the U.S. Army Air Force mostly for training. Over 9,000 were produced with more than half the production going to Russia under the Lend-Lease Program. The Russians used them as close ground support aircraft against German tanks. While not a high-performance airplane, the Airacobra was an interesting design in that its engine was behind the pilot and connected to the propeller by a long shaft. It also was one of the first production fighters to have a tricycle landing gear and cannon firing from the nose. Bell also designed and produced the first production "jet" fighter in the U.S. After the war Bell turned to helicopter design and production.

Don

20190226_061456-scfopt.jpg aaa1.jpg aaa1-scfopt (2).jpg aaa1-scfopt.jpg aaa2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  16. Werner Salentin

FlugF2490.jpg
    issued March 2nd,1985

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  17. Werner Salentin

FlugFi384.jpg
    issued Feb.13th,1950

DonSellos and anglobob like this.