Aircraft images on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Jul 20, 2016.

1. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Hi Don....thanks....I have been looking at these links...the more I read,the more interesting it gets.I could quite easily get sucked into more areas and other collections...:joyful:
    The early aviators and airmail stamps are particularly appealing.There is also a mention of Antoine de Saint Exupery.I studied French at grammar school and college,and he is one of my favourite authors.
    Bob

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Yes, indeed. That's how I became a world-wide collector. Always something new to look into and add to the collection.

Me too, re: the appeal of early airmail, stamps & covers. I keep telling myself that I need to join the American Airmail Society, but resist adding yet another interest. Saint Exupery is one of the more frequently quoted authors in the aviation magazines and forums I read and follow. I confess, though, I have not read any of his work. I need to give him a try, sooner rather than later.

Don

3. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

FlugF1408.jpg
    issued Sept.1st,1962

clover hansel and DonSellos like this.
  4. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

hi guys! I have a PBJ Semper Fi collectible stamp. I was wondering if you guys cold tell me how much its worth

5. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Clover,
    A little more information about the plane stamp would be needed to give any sort of value. Is it a postage stamp or a Cinderella stamp? What country is it from? Is it mint or used?
    Most modern mint stamps are bought and sold for less than face value among collectors and dealers these days so unless there a big collector demand it is likely to fit that bill unfortunately.

6. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

I don't know a lot about stamps hoch. I'm new to all this. It's a postage stamp. I can send a photo of it.

7. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

8. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

9. DonSellos

Hi Clover:

Your stamp is a computer designed and printed item from Stamps.com., a private postage vendor. See this link:

https://www.stamps.com/landing/?sou...9052&msclkid=4518d9e9fa5912aec63f85d6443accd8

It is certainly worth .50 as U.S. postage, but it doesn't have any premium for collectors.

The airplane pictured is a North American B-25 Mitchell. It was a pre-WW II design that continued in use through out the war and was used in the air forces of all the Allies. It was in Mitchell B-25 aircraft that Lt. Col. James Doolittle led his famous raid on Tokyo in 1942. The particular airplane pictured on the stamp was one operated by the US Marine Corps and PBJ is its technical designation. Semper Fi was the name of this specific aircraft and is the popular expression of the Marine Corps motto Semper Fidelis meaning Always Faithful.

The stamp itself was designed and purchased by the Commemorative Air Force and was included in one of its annual solicitations for money to restore this particular aircraft. The Commemorative Air Force's (CAF) mission is to restore WW II aircraft to flying condition. I support the CAF and I have one of these stamps in my stock book.

If you like airplanes, there are hundreds of them pictured on the world's postage stamps and Aircraft on Stamps is a popular topical collecting subject. Yours would make a good start.

Best wishes

Don

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  10. DonSellos

A page from my Aircraft on Stamps album, One of the first sets collected and pages drawn, dating back to the late 1970s. It is the eight stamp set, Sc. 430-437, issued in 1965 from Great Britain commemorating the Battle of Britain. The aircraft shown are not detailed, but recognizable. The set, however, does depict the action of the battle and the aircraft used by each side.

Don

aaa-scfopt(2).jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  11. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Don...
    I can remember buying these when they were issued,way back in 1965.The 4d values were issued in a block of 6.There was also a set issued with phosphor lines.
    Bob

12. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

wow all that from a stamp less than a inch long

13. clover hansel

clover hansel New Member

thanks for the help guys!

14. DonSellos

Bob:

GB has issued some nifty aircraft stamps. This set is among the best. As mentioned above, I especially like the portrayal of action on the stamps and the inclusion of the ground unit, and the contrails in the sky. I remember corresponding, maybe 25 years ago, with Kenneth A. Wood who used to write a column for Western Stamp Collector. I don't remember the exact subject of the letter, but comment on the stamp showing the contrails was included. Wood said he was a boy in England during the war and remembered seeing the air battles going on in the skies. It must have been an awesome and somewhat frightening sight.

Don

15. DonSellos

The second page of my Great Britain aircraft on stamps collection:

Don

aaa-scfopt(2).jpg

16. DonSellos

And page three:

The Gloster E.28/29 Whittle, bottom center was a pre-WW II turbojet design that first flew in May 1941. It did not go into production but morphed into the Gloster Meteor which did and which saw combat operations toward the close of the war. The Meteor was the Allies' first and only jet powered aircraft to see operational service during the war. The Whittle was an important aviation development and I wish that the GB postal authority might have given it a stamp featuring a larger and more detail version of the aircraft. Maybe it has, I have not kept up with my GB Aircraft on Stamps collection. The Meteor is depicted on Sc. 1761.

Don

aaa7.jpg

anglobob likes this.
  17. DonSellos

Page four of my GB Aircraft on Stamps. I stopped updating this in the late 90s, but there are many collectable aircraft stamps from England since then. I need to get caught up here.

Don

aaa-scfopt(2).jpg

anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  18. DonSellos

I'll continue with some aircraft stamps from the UK islands issuing their own stamps starting with Jersey. These probably were issued just for folks like me to buy, but they are all nicely done, some with interesting aircraft. It is difficult to resist buying them! As with most all of my topical collections, they are not up to date with the most current issues.

The 1979 set, page three as illustrated, includes a couple of interesting aircraft rarely pictured on stamps. The Druine Turbulent is a design by Roger Druine intended for the amateur builders market. It is more popular in England and France than in the U.S. The second is the Percival Mew Gull. Percival Aircraft designed and sold several aircraft designed for the private/general aviation market. The Mew Gull was a three-place airplane from the early 1930s. Generally speaking, private and amateur-built aircraft are depicted on stamps infrequently. Most aircraft stamps show military and commercial airplanes.

I should add that the bottom stamp on page three, the North American "Harvard" is a U.S. design known as the North American AT-6 "Texan." It was widely used in the US Army Air Force as an advanced trainer.

Don

aaa7a.jpg aaa9.jpg aaa-scfopt(2).jpg

19. DonSellos

Continuing the UK islands stamp issuing authorities with Guernsey.

Don

aaa9.jpg aaa-scfopt(2).jpg aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  20. DonSellos

And the Isle of Man:

Don

aaa.jpg aaa2.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted