Aircraft images on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

FlugCT623.jpg
    issued March 15th,1967 (from a set of 2)

2. pdotk

pdotk Active Member

Nice stamps on Aircrafts. I am very unfortunate, nowadays little or no time for stamps :-(.

3. Werner Salentin

FlugDanzig135.jpg
    issued Feb.5th,1923 (from a set of 5)

DonSellos, Andrey and pdotk like this.
  4. pdotk

pdotk Active Member

100 Marks for the stamp too. Lovely one.

5. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

Planes.jpg I have recently started getting interested in French colonies and came across this series of stamps from Reunion,issued in 1942 by the Vichy government of France.A very simple design,but in my eyes,very appealing....and quite cheap,another ideal factor....

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  6. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Hi Bob:

You are right the Reunion airmails. An attractive set. One of my favorite airmail sets is Egypt's 1933 issue featuring a Handly-Page H.P. 42 flying over the Giza pyramids. The aircraft on the stamp is not large enough for much detail, but the scene of a modern device flying over ancient structures makes it a striking design in my opinion. I am currently trying to put together a set of used stamps for this series. It is a little slow going, however, as my source of Egyptian stamps is not large. Here's an image of Sc C5, the first stamp in the series of 21 stamps. Egypt issued an additional four stamps in 1941-1943 to extend the series to 25 stamps total.

The H.P. 42 was a huge aircraft with four-engines and a wingspan of 130 feet designed for use by Imperial Airways. It could carry from 24 to 38 passengers varying by the route and the amount of baggage space allotted. Its cruising speed was only 95 to 105 mph.

Don

aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  7. anglobob

Don....I like that stamp also.I am off to England in September so will keep my eyes open for that set.
    Looking at the early French Colonies,I have seen numerous airmail stamps with extremely attractive designs.I have started to build a small collection of used stamps.What also attracts me,apart from the design,is the price :banhappy::banhappy::banhappy:
    I will try and post a few pictures
    Bob

8. DonSellos

It's always good to be back home. I hope you have a good trip, and, maybe, even find some worthwhile items for your collection.

Don

9. DonSellos

My wife and I took a cruise to the Caribbean a couple of weeks ago. One of the stops was the Cayman Islands, and since that is a smaller place geographically, we decided to just take a walk around downtown George Town and look at the shops. We were on the way back to the ship when we saw a small, two-story mall-type building with a number of shops in in. Right at the entrance, I was surprised to see a sign that read "The Penny Black - Stamps for Collectors. The Caribbeans only Postage Stamp Shop."

I usually try to create or find a philatelic souvenir from these trips for my collection, but this was almost too good to be true. My wife sighed and said "I'm going to look in the other shops, I'll check back in a half-hour." I went in, and, sure enough, it was a bona fide stamp shop with a walk-around rectangular display counter and multiple glass framed displays around the walls. It offered word-wide stamps and covers, with mostly contemporary items on display.

I spend an agreeable half-hour looking a the offerings and chatting with the young woman minding the store. I didn't buy much as I had no want list, without which I end up buying a lot of duplicate stuff. I, however, bought a couple of covers and the mini-sheet of Cayman Island aircraft stamps below for my Aircraft on Stamps collection. The time spent in The Penny Black fulfilled my philatelic souvenir quest and, generally, made my day.

aaa.jpg

The Cayman Islands has issued a surprising number of aircraft stamps showing a variety of aircraft with little repetition of designs. I was pleased to see that this small sheet included the Airspeed Oxford and Martin Baltimore (aircraft not frequently seen on stamps) rather than an Hurricane and Spitfire that other postal authorities routinely included for their RAF 80th anniversary issues. A welcome addition to my Aircraft on Stamps collection and a fine souvenir of my visit to the Cayman Islands.

Don

Molokai, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  10. Werner Salentin

FlugF318.jpg
    issued June 4th,1936

DonSellos and Molokai like this.
  11. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Good story! But you didn't tell us the part about your wive going to the Cartier store and purchasing a $15,000.00 watch while you were in the stamp shop.:shame:

DonSellos likes this.
  12. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

And so, per your instructions, I went to Wiki to find out more and especially how he came to die so young - although given the perils of his experiments it wasn't too difficult to guess.

Werner Salentin likes this.
  13. anglobob

Part of my increasing collection of airplanes on stamps.I took some advice from Don and added these to my collecting interests.
    This set was prepared in 1941 by the Vichy Govt for use in Cameroun but were issued by the Free French and were not put on sale in Cameroun until 1946.
    The planes depicted are the Sikorsky S43 Amphibian and a Latecoere 631 flying boat Image (108).jpg on the 50fr value

DonSellos and Andrey like this.
  14. anglobob

Stamps from Reunion,issued in 1938 showing a Caudron C-600 Aiglon.
    The same design was used for a series of stamps issued by the Vichy Govt in 1942,only with the RF letters displaced by the value of the stamp. Image (109).jpg

Andrey and DonSellos like this.
  15. anglobob

A postcard from France,commemorating the first air service between Paris and Brussels in November 1930.It was issued by the Aero Club of France ,with an early airmail stamp from France and Belgium attached.It also has nice cancellations.
    There is also a nice cinderella stamp attached,again with a nice cancellation.
    I have scanned a copy of the reverse also. Image (118).jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  16. DonSellos

A very attractive item, Bob. I especially like the illustration below the pendants with the times of flight in both directions. I figure the flight made approximately 60-63 miles per hour over the ground.

Don

17. anglobob

Don.....nowadays that flight would take about 55 minutes.!!!
    Being as it was a first flight,they may have had to stop for directions...:clown::clown::clown:
    Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  18. Werner Salentin

FlugF749.jpg
    Do have this one only from a set of 4,issued 1946/47.

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  19. Philbeaux

Philbeaux Member

20. DonSellos

This 1967 Cyprus stamp, Sc. 306, is from a set commemorating International Tourist Year. It, and others like it, can be the bane of topical collectors. The stamp is what I refer to as an "orphan" in that it is hidden in a set with no illustration in the catalog and only briefly described in the catalog set description. All too often topical collectors are forced to buy the whole set to get a single stamp. I discovered it only because it was offered as a single in a sales circuit book.

The aircraft, while lacking detail, appears to be an image of a de Havilland D.H. 106 Comet, the first jet passenger aircraft to enter airline (BOAC) service in May 1952.

Don

aaa3.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted