Aircraft images on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Jul 20, 2016.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Yes, I agree. Many stamp designers/artists take a lot of liberties. Stylized or composite aircraft on stamps abound. In this case, I don't have a good photo of either design.

Don

2. anglobob

anglobob Moderator Moderator

I was sorting through my stamps and found the following aviation themed stamps.
    This is a pane from the 2009 GB Prestige Book,Design Classics,featuring Concorde Image (19).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  3. anglobob

In 2008 , Great Britain issued a set of stamps celebrating famous air dislplays.The 81p stamp commemorates Hendon Air Races and is of a photograph from around 1912 Image (22).jpg

Makanudo and DonSellos like this.
  4. pdotk

pdotk Active Member

Today I got the Cocos Islands Aviation MS on cover. Nice addition to my theme.
    Jan 18 cover exchange 3 Aviation MS Warren keedle recd.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  5. anglobob

In 1936,France issued a 50franc airmail stamp showing a plane flying over Paris.This is a very attractive stamp and has a high catalogue value.
    In 1945,Edouard Berck ,a French philatelic dealer who also published catalogues,designed a vignette to commemorate the earlier stamp. France airmail 15.jpg 996_001.jpg

6. DonSellos

[QUOTE="In 1945,Edouard Berck ,a French philatelic dealer who also published catalogues,designed a vignette to commemorate the earlier stamp.[/QUOTE]

Bob

Interesting. Is the copy known as the Berck cinderella in French collecting circles? Did he use it on his outgoing mail? Is it readily available for collectors?

Don

Makanudo likes this.
  7. anglobob

Don...
    This cinderella stamp is not that hard to find on either Delcampe or Ebay.Prices on Ebay France seem to go from 10 Euros to 60 Euros...

Bob

DonSellos likes this.
  8. DonSellos

The Commemorative Air Force is asking me for money again and, courteously, they include postage for my response. They use stamps printed by stamps.com with images of aircraft they have restored or want to restore. This one features a North American B-25 Mitchell, a widely used twin-engine light bomber of the WW II period. This particular B-25 named Semper Fi, carries the Navy (Marine Corps in this case) designation PBJ. The downside of these stamps is the CAF always paper clips them to the donation form and it leaves an indentation on the stamp. Takes a while to press that out!

Another two or three of the CAF's stamps and I'll be able to draw up a page of them.

Don

aaa.jpg

Makanudo and anglobob like this.
  9. DonSellos

The Curtiss Jenny (JN-4) is one of the airplanes most frequently seen on U.S. stamps. Here are the U.S. Jenny stamps from 1918 up to the reprint of the upside down Jenny, 2013.

Don

aaa1.jpg aaa2.jpg aaa3.jpg aaa4.jpg aaa5.jpg aaa6.jpg aaa7.jpg

anglobob likes this.
  10. anglobob

I was looking at Delcampe today and came across the following stamps which caught my attention.To be honest,I had never even seen or heard about this territory.They are from Fezzan, a part of Libya which was under French administration from 1943 until 1951. Fezzan.jpg

11. anglobob

A cinderella stamp from France,commemorating the 1930 Paris Exposition.
    I have no idea if it depicts an actual plane or if it is a figment of the artist,s imagination. airmail cinderella.jpg

DonSellos likes this.
  12. DonSellos

Not much detail in the aircraft drawing -- maybe a CAM 33 or Latham 45. Nice art deco stamp, though. Interesting that it is labeled "Poste Aerienne."

Don

13. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

FlugChV26.jpg
    issued Aug.1st,1950

DonSellos likes this.
  14. DonSellos

Looks like a Douglas DC-4.

Don

15. anglobob

A personalized issue from France.It doesnt actually show a plane but shows the logo of the French Airforce.It was originally part of the French Army but became an independent service in 1934. Image (11).jpg

DonSellos and Werner Salentin like this.
  16. Werner Salentin

According to Scott´s,you are right,Don !

17. Werner Salentin

FlugChV98.jpg
    issued May 1st,1951 (from a set of 5)

DonSellos and anglobob like this.
  18. DonSellos

I was reading my online version of Linns this morning and I saw the announcement of new issues to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Royal Air Force with links to the postal home pages of the Isle of Man, Guernsey, and Jersey. There, undoubtedly, will many other issues for this anniversary, probably enough to form a sizable Aircraft on Stamps collection. Here are the images of the stamps issued, or to be issued, by the postal authorities mentioned above. The photos are from the respective issuing authorities' home pages.

Don

From the Isle of Man:

upload_2018-3-24_7-48-55.png

From Jersey:

upload_2018-3-24_7-49-56.png

From Guernsey:

upload_2018-3-24_7-50-29.png

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  19. DonSellos

This year, 2018, is the 100th anniversary of U.S. air mail and the USPO is issuing two stamps in commemoration. Same design, different colors. The first, I believe, will appear on May 1, 2018. Not great designs, reminiscent of classic engraved stamps, but certainly better than photographic art work, in my opinion.

Don

upload_2018-3-28_7-38-34.png

Andrey, Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  20. Werner Salentin

FlugChV187.jpg
    issued Aug.1st,1952 (from a set of 4)

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted