Aircraft images on stamps

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by James-2489, Jul 20, 2016.

1. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Hello all, a small aircraft from Vietnam.

Date of issue: 1979-06-01
    upload_2016-8-21_15-57-20.png

Regards, James.

Gunny and DonSellos like this.
  2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Building flying model airplanes is another hobby from the past that seems to have changed over the years due to technology. What was called "free flight" and "control line" has fallen off and replaced with radio control model building and flying. As James' stamp illustrates the older style of model building appears on stamps from time to time. Posted below are a couple of pages from my Aircraft on Stamps collection that portray older style model aircraft. From the Hungary 1954 set, Sc. C149-C156.

Don

Model aircraft 100040003.jpg Model aircraft 10003.jpg

Makanudo and James-2489 like this.
  3. James-2489

Hello Don, I like your mini-sheets.

I too built and flew R/C model aircraft. In my computer room I have a Multiplex Alpha-H 2,8 metre wingspan Glider, not flown for more than 30 years. I also had many elastic powered free flight models that I gave away to a local boys club. I learned to fly the real thing at Challock in Kent, UK, but never managed to get my licence due to work commitments.

Regards, James.

DonSellos and Makanudo like this.
  4. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

5. DonSellos

James:

A 2.8 meter wingspan is a big model! My American mind, still rooted in feet and inches, translates the wingspan to around 8 + feet. Is that correct? Can you post a picture of it?

I never built or flew R/C models, but free flight and control line, yes. That was a long time ago and, alas, none remain. Aircraft and flying, though, have always been among my passions and I had a private pilot certificate by the time I was 21. That's me flying my experimental Fisher Celebrity biplane in my avatar. I sold the biplane (fun, but too cold for winter flying) and bought a 1947 Ercoupe that I fly regularly. It is pictured below. My aviation interests overlap my stamp collecting and I find it difficult not to buy stamps depicting aircraft when I see them. I have three albums of aircraft stamps mounted on pages and enough unmounted stamps to fill a couple more.

Don
    20160408_092107.jpg

BettyBoop and James-2489 like this.
  6. James-2489

Hello Don, 2.8 m is about 9' 2" the weight to wing area I was told gives about 25 times the lift of a manned glider. I could easily get it into the cloud base, needed a spotter to help though, 9 ft at 4,000 ft is difficult to track.
    The aircraft is boxed because it is nearly 2 ft wider than my computer room.
    Now that in theory I have more time, I would like to take the whole lot [drawings, balsa, wing spars, engines] etc back to Thailand and continue the hobby there.
    Beautiful aircraft, In some ways I wish that I had pursued my interest in flying.

Regards, James.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    AVP likes this.
  7. James-2489

Hello all, I think this is really pushing the the theme of aircraft. Actually from my Costumes and Uniforms collection. I'm currently sorting my Iraq collection ready for catalogueing.

Date of issue: 1966-12-03
    upload_2016-8-27_13-13-20.png

Regards, James.

Andrey and DonSellos like this.
  8. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

I'd say that it counts.

9. Makanudo

I'd say its art hand craft :)

James-2489 likes this.
  10. Makanudo

Heres some early 2 engines commercial aircraft stamp

11. Makanudo

pl4.jpg

Attached Files:

• pl4.jpg
      pl4.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
    DonSellos and James-2489 like this.
  12. Makanudo

13. DonSellos

Makanudo:

Nice stamps. I've not seen aircraft stamps I didn't like.

The top stamp from Yugoslavia depicts a somewhat stylized version of an Ilyuskin Il-4 DB-3, the Argentina stamps show purely "stylized" aircraft.

Don

14. DonSellos

It's a "stretch," but it is flying.

Don

15. Makanudo

16. DonSellos

From the 1949 airmail set of eight -- a recognizable rendering of a Vickers Viking in a rather nose high attitude. This is Iraq's first airmail set.

Don

James-2489 and Makanudo like this.
  17. Makanudo

18. Makanudo

Some nice hungarian stamps

aih.jpg

DonSellos and James-2489 like this.
  19. James-2489

Hello all, These aircraft stamps from Afghanistan -
    Part of a set of seven celebrating the 40th anniversary of Afgan national aviation.

Date of issue: 1984-06-29
    upload_2016-9-1_11-34-45.png

Regards, James.

DonSellos likes this.
  20. James-2489

Hello all, this GB set issued 2015-07-16 for the 75th anniversary of the battle of Britain.

I have these in MNH and FDC.

upload_2016-9-2_20-58-1.png

Regards, James.

Attached Files:

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted