Air Mail Covers - variant borders

Discussion in 'Stamp Chat' started by DonSellos, Apr 4, 2018.

1. DonSellos

DonSellos Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread up with one of my favorite one-of-a-kind airmail borders in which the cover designer cleverly incorporated the sled dogs and aircraft into the airmail border

Don

aaa.jpg

Werner Salentin and anglobob like this.
  2. DonSellos

The above cover was characteristic of Alaska, our 49th state. Here's one with Hawaiian designs, our 50th, with a big, bold cancel. Not much philatelic value in this cover, but a nice addition to my Airmail Borders collection. I'd bet an IRS employee snatched this one out of the mail room waste basket!

Don

aaa4.jpg

Werner Salentin likes this.
  3. DonSellos

One of my favorite airmail borders here. Silhouettes of U.S. naval ships form the border. I have a few of these covers. They are interesting in that the design disappeared after the U.S. entered WW II and, aside from this cover, my examples have all been postmarked from battleships. After a long, and on-going search I have been unable to find out who designed and sold this type of cover.

There was a chatty four-page letter included with this cover. The writer was a sailor on U.S.S. Nashville, which was a cruiser. He mentions that he hopes to get the letter on "a Clipper air mail," but does specify if he meant the daily Clipper flight or this specific cover. This stationery is also great for my Aircraft on Covers collection with its illustration of a Martin 130 Clipper. There are a couple of variations that I will post later, if I can find them.

Don

aaa1a.jpg

anglobob and Werner Salentin like this.
  4. DonSellos

Time to bump up this thread with a variant on the above cover. This one has the ships around the border, but also includes red and blue rectangular dashes below the ships and scroll work in the corners.

This cover was posted aboard the U.S.S. Tennessee, a battleship. There is a return address on the reverse for A.E. Mason, % Postmaster, San Pedro, California. While there is no rank before his name, Mason probably served aboard U.S.S. Tennessee. It is odd, however, that Mason did not include his ships name in his address. San Pedro was the home port for many Pacific Fleet ships in the 1930s and 1940s.

I also include a scan of two similar covers that were never used. I bought these two covers in an attempt to find out who printed these covers. The top shows only that American News Company distributed this design and the lower displays a copyright notice by Nanco, Inc. My search for any information about American News and Nanco has been unsuccessful. Who designed and sold this unusual airmail stationery remains a mystery to me.

Don

aaa.jpg One-of-a-Kind 15B.jpg

5. DonSellos

A couple of variant borders featuring lightning bolts, one from the U.S., the other from Italy, both from 1953.

Don

aaa6.jpg aaa7.jpg

6. DonSellos

This cover has several collecting points for me. It qualifies as an Aircraft on Covers, a WW II patriotic with the "Keep 'em Flying slogan, a local, Oklahoma-related cover, and the variant airmail border at the bottom of the envelope. Right now I have it in my Airmail Borders album.

Don

One-of-a-Kind 16.jpg

7. DonSellos

It is not unusual for a business to use stationery that includes its logo or initials. This Algerian company has gone one step further, however, and incorporated its name as part of an airmail border.

Don

One-of-a-Kind 22.jpg

8. DonSellos

This cover featuring red and blue bunting as an airmail border was a commercially sold stationery, or at least used to be. It is difficult to find airmail envelopes since domestic airmail as a class-of-mail was ended.

Don

One-of-a-Kind 23.jpg

9. DonSellos

Red and blue question marks for an airmail border are the main reason I collected this cover. Although, it is also a good Aircraft on Covers with its image of a Lockheed Electra 188 in the upper left corner and in the drawing tying the Turkish stamp. Lots of handstamps on this cover. It was obviously a handback philatelic promotional item but I have never learned what was mysterious about the flight. For me it remains a mystery!

Don

aaa.jpg

10. DonSellos

An ordinary Venezuelan commercial cover from the WW II period. The postmark is illegible, but the stamps date from the late 1930s and early 1940s and it was opened and resealed by a censor, which leads me to date it in the early 1940s. I have collected this cover for its different airmail border of small red and blue pyramids.

Don

aaa.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019 at 12:55 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted