A Stamp Forum? Hey Fellow Collectors

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Airmail, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Airmail

Airmail New Member

I have so many questions. I was given boxes of stamps years ago but have done nothing with them. Many, many quarter sheets. Why do people collect quarter sheets?

2. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Why do people collect anything? There is, of course, intrinsic value in a quarter sheet (assuming the stamps are mint), and collectible value on some of them as well. You can always use the ones you don't want to keep for trading or sell to fund new purchases.

And, welcome aboard!

3. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Perhaps the collector was collecting "plate blocks". Plate blocks are generally speaking a premium over stamps anywhere else on the sheet. In order to understand what constitutes a "plate block" generally a catalogue is required.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Peter T Davis likes this.
  4. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Welcome aboard.

5. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Welcome to the forum. :)

6. Airmail

Airmail New Member

Thanks everyone!

7. Larry L. Taylor

Larry L. Taylor Active Member

Peter's right - why does anyone collect anything. They probably collected 1/4 sheets to save money.

Hopefully, your quarter sheets include the plate block. Older sheets from back in the 3-8 cent range of stamps generally had only one plate # per sheet. Later when the USPS got more intricate in their printing with mulitple plate runs for the color, there may be several different plate numbers along the margin. More recently on the 20 count 'sheetlets', they may put plate numbers in all four corners, thereby making the plate block less of a rarity. As it is, plate blocks today don't sell for much more that the value of a block of 4 stamps wo/ the plate number.

Welcome, and have fun in the forum.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  8. Airmail

Airmail New Member

Thanks. They do have plate block numbers in the margins. A funny story is that I found a couple of 1/4 sheets of the Dag Hammarskjold errors that were produced for collectors after the original errors were discovered along with a newspaper article detailing the mistake and value of the original errors. I thought, WOW! am I wealthy now. After a little research, I was back to being plain old poor again. :)

9. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Yes, welcome aboard. As a collector of plate blocks, I would hope you are able to keep yours separated and dry (low humidity environment). Stamps stuck together is every collector's nightmare!

Depending on the type of stamp, some of them could be worth more than the multiplication of face X number of stamps. And if you question value, go to a retail site (Mystic is a good one as they have on-line catalogs) and see what they are selling for, both used and unused. Your stamps will be in that range.

Draft saved Draft deleted