A Real meaningful stamp to me

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by steve logan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

I wonder if anyone can help me, while reading on wikipedia about one of my favourite performers and singers (apart from Elvis that is), i saw that they commemorated him with a stamp in 1994, and i wondered of someone would help me get a used and mint version of this stamp.
    i will not say right out who it is, i will give a few clues and see if others appreciate this artist as much as i do lol
    He had an 80 show sell out run at the Winter Garden
    He died 13 years before i was born (i am 48 B.1963)
    He was the first entertainer to entertain troops abroad in the 2nd world war
    And if you have not guessed it yet he starred in the first talking movie.
    If anyone could help i would really appreciate it

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Al Jolson?

1994 29c Al Jolson - Catalog # 2849

3. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Well well well, and englishman answered first lol

maybe he was not as popular in the USA as i thought, yes Steve that is the stamp i am looking for, just waiting now to see if anyone has it spare for me to add to my collection lol

4. Steve Robinson

My fathers all time fav, brought up listning to him and the Ink spots LOL and Sinatra & Deno from my mum

5. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Yeah i know that feeling, that is why i think i like the oldies as well, my dad was the Jolson and Sinatra fan, and my mother was a Tommy Steel, Drifters and Dean lol

Just go to show that in our day when we were young there was more music than TV and so their impressions stuck lol

6. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Steve although I dont have a spare one in my collection, I can get one for you for less than $1 MNH. If no one else comes up with one, I will get one for you, let me know. and as for knowing who Al Jolsen was, sorry, but I never heard of him before. lol

7. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

Kacyds lets see if some one has them spare first.
    and i bet you do really, how anyone could be shy about knowing who he is beats me, he set the stage for a lot of the music in the 60's to 80's :)

8. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

how was thanksgiving by the way, did you have a good time away??
    i posted your pack out yesterday for you, did not want it to be hanging about while no one was home.

(did you send a postcard lol)

9. kacyds

kacyds New Member

Thanksgiving is on Thursday.......... we having a good time, considering it has been raining everyday day since we been here. Thanks for sending those stamps to me, I will get yours to you as soon as I get back.

(and no I havent, sorry)

10. kacyds

kacyds New Member

I did a search for Al and came up with Al Jolson (May 26, 1886 – October 23, 1950) was an American singer, comedian and actor. In his heyday, he was dubbed "The World's Greatest Entertainer". Just a little before my time, lol

11. Steve Robinson

See if you can get your hands on a copy of the Jazz Singer (1927 version) they did a re-make in the 80's with Niel Diamond in the starring role but the original is a classic

12. steve logan

steve logan Logie Bear

was 13 years before my time as well, but so powerful was his influence i became hooked with my parents playing his songs all the time

i have the films The Jolson Story, and Jolson sings again and watch them when i am feeling a little down, they really cheer me up (What a Saddo) lol

And Steve i have been looking for the Jazz Singer on DVd for years, i will get it one day, with all the oldies being revamped and put on BluRay should not be long :)

Draft saved Draft deleted