A few new acquisitions from this month...

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Jay, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Moderator Moderator

I realy do like the 90c and the designs on the 2 x12c plus the 24c reminds me of ABC Banknotes LOL

2. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

I noticed that the same image shows up twice for #63 and #162 even though I changed it twice?

3. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Since I cannot go back and edit my original post- here is some info on my #72​
    U.S. Scott catalog #72
    [​IMG]
    The 1861 Issue 90-cent Washington has many similarities to its 1851-1861 Issue counterpart. Though printed by two different companies, Joseph I. Pease engraved both stamps, using John Trumbull’s portrait of Washington as inspiration. The 1861 stamp was supposed to be issued with a change in design and color to differentiate it from the previous issue, but the color remained blue. The major difference between the two issues was the amount of time they were in use. The first 90-cent Washington was in use less than a year, explaining why used examples are considerably scarcer than mint copies. The 1861 Issue 90-cent Washington was in use over seven years, and consequently the 90-cent Washington of the 1861 Issue had a printing more than ten times greater than its earlier counterpart. That ten-to-one ratio also holds true for use on cover.​
    Throughout the 1860s there was not one single-weight rate that the 90-cent stamp could pay. The 90-cent Washington of the 1861 Issue instead fulfilled the double-weight rate to India, Australia, Brazil, Hong Kong, and several other countries and, in combination with other denominations, larger weight and foreign destination rates. A total of over 380,000 stamps of the 90-cent Washington were printed by National Bank Note Company. In 1869 the 90-cent Washington was replaced by the 90-cent Lincoln of the Pictorial set. The only one of those known on cover is a famous cover known as "The Ice-House Cover"

Steve Robinson likes this.
  4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

U.S. Scott catalog #77
    [​IMG]
    In 1866 the Post Office Department issued what is considered the nation's first commemorative stamp, the 15-cent Lincoln. It was the first stamp of that denomination issued by the United States, and Lincoln was the first person pictured on a postage stamp who would have seen the 1847 Issues. John Wilkes Booth had assassinated Lincoln on April 14, 1865.​
    The 15-cent denomination paid the single-weight rate to France or, in combination with other denominations, greater weight and foreign destination rates. After January 1, 1869, it could have paid the registered mail fee. Approximately 2,139,300 stamps of the 13-cent issue were printed by National Bank Note Company.​

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

My #241
    Mint, Original gum, 2mm. tear middle right hand side-repaired

[​IMG]

Though the subject of the Columbian Exposition Issue's 1-dollar stamp suggests that Queen Isabella sold her jewels to fund Columbus's expedition, in reality the Spanish nobility also provided the adventure considerable support. For decades the finances of northern Spain had been vested in the struggle to re-conquer the Moor-controlled south, a battle won in 1492. The triumph assured, Isabella's willingness to sell her own jewels to underwrite the expedition prompted many noblemen to follow suit.

The collecting community considers the 'dollar-value Columbians' the jewels of the Columbian Exposition Issue. Their denominations constitute $15 of the set's total $16.34 face value. As the 'jewels', they are less attainable than the 1- to 50-cent denominations that typically fill a collector's album.

Until 1893 the highest denomination of any single U.S. stamp was ninety cents. Every company from Toppan, Carpenter, Casilear & Co. to American Bank Note had printed at least one stamp of this denomination, all with defined uses. But when the 'dollar-value Columbians' were conceived, none was intended to pre-pay a specified rate on its own. The stamps' functions seem to have been to publicize the Columbian set and to generate revenue for the Post Office Department. In other words, the issues were intended as collectibles, not postage 'work horses'. Printing costs were essentially the same for any denomination of the Columbian Issue, so the dollar-value stamps offered a high margin of profit.

As expected, stamp collectors and dealers, who saw the opportunity to create collectible covers, used the issues to drastically overpay the usually low domestic rates. The stamp could also have paid expensive heavyweight foreign destination rates. American Bank Note Company printed a total 55,050 stamps of the 1-dollar issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted