A Belated Hello

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Michelle, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

Hi.

I subscribed to this forum a while back but have had life getting in the way, so I haven't posted.

That said, let me introduce myself.

I got into stamp collecting -- or more accurately, stamp selling -- sort of by accident. My stepfather, who is now 93, started collecting when he was 11, and years ago, he had me make him a website about them. It was intriguing, but I didn't do anything but learn during the period the site was active.

Then, about 7 years ago, my neighbor, an auctioneer, came across the street and gave me a box full of letters, still in the envelopes, ranging from 1870 to the early 1960s.

I put a few on eBay, and what a hit! Since that time, I have bought boxes of these covers and their contents and find them thrillingly interesting, when I can read them. :)

Amazing history. And so I guess I'm not so much a collector as someone who loves the history.

ram, Steve Robinson and Peter T Davis like this.
  2. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Awesome. Welcome aboard. It's a small group, but knowledgeable and active.

Peter T Davis likes this.
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Administrator Moderator

Welcome aboard Michelle! I'd love to see what you have in your collection, especially the older stuff.

4. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

As would I... Welcome to the club. If you ever branch out from just covers and need some good US used, I have a number of trade items.

Good luck... covers are pretty hot right now!

5. Great really interesting. Covers are the thing that makes this hobby so interesting.

6. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :)
    Interesting to know how you got interested into covers. ;)

7. When I first started working I worked for a Bank in a small outpost in Newfoundland and most of the deposits were sent by registered mail. I kept the covers, also all the labebls on on all the money bags sent in. Then went to work for a Finance company and got all the mail there and saved the covers and after that went on Construction on the Churchill Falls Labrador hydro project and there got covers from all over the world. Some I still have most were sold or traded but recently came across a person who worked for the World Bank in Washington, DC and he has quite a selection of covers that he brings to the Stamp club and sell for 10-25 cents each. I just purchased about 200 from the Soviet Union for $10.00 have fund with them now.
    I have a ton of First Day Covers that I want to trade but don't know where to trade them or if anybody wants them.

Regards
    Keywood

Steve Robinson and Gunny like this.
  8. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member Supporter

Michelle Welcome to the forum, would love to see your covers :) Keywood try putting some of them up in the trade forum

Draft saved Draft deleted