5c airmail shift in plate

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by redsox81, Jun 13, 2013.

1. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

http://www.stampexchange.com/gallery/image/326-img-20130613-222939-313-1/ I read two different things about this stamp. The first thing is that the shift on it dosen't raise the value much BC its possible there are many due to the amount that was printed and an error should be common. The second thing is that these particular errors or shifts are considered somewhat scarce and have a decent amount of value. Any idea of what statement I should be leaning towards? Thanks!

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

3. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

Oh yeah I see. That looks shifted to its left as like mine but to the right and bottom of mine is white for a decent part. Would that be considered a dramatic shift or would the plane have to be pretty much on its own side? This is such a great looking stamp to me. Even without the "shift" I love it. I'm a big fan of U.S. airmail stamps!

4. Hochstrasse

I agree it is beautiful stamp. I have a link to a definitive source about the stamp, it's very interesting. There is a page with some very dramatic shifts shown. These are the ones that demand a significant premium, my guess is the bottom and top shifts are the most stark. The one you have is a nice example and definitely worth a premium over catalog.

http://www.sandiegophilateliclibrary.org/pdffiles/us-air-mail-issue-1928.pdf

5. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Sorry to say but my perception of this stamp is less glorifying.

The shift to be noteworthy should be more than 5mm which this is not.
    The shift of the ebay stamp is just a normal colour shift down maybe 1mm and just an oddity.

What I did note is the paper shrinkage or in fact the expansion to the left upper side, shortish perfs thus a far cry of anything of value.

Also note, the odd ebay stamp is mint, yours is used propably found in their hundreds with this due to the printing processes of that time.

6. Hochstrasse

Of course you are right Philactica. A stamp that catalogs for maybe a buck used and a few bucks mint that has as many misregistrations as this issue is famous for is not going to make anyone rich, but to a buyer looking for this kind of example may offer two bits more than they would for a "normal" stamp.

7. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

I think every stamp collector dreams that their collection has great value. I know I sure do, but in another aspect I simply love stamps! For the internal peace they seem to bring me and for the shear thought of the history behind each and every one! I just flat out love'm!

Sarahrtw and Hochstrasse like this.
  8. Hochstrasse

I love them big, I love them small,
    I love them thin, I love them tall,
    With all their color and their tales,
    As they all pass through the mails,
    One can only reflect and think
    About the spaces between the ink.
    Of the history those stamps have seen,
    And the insight we can glean
    From our collections big and small