3C Washington Challenge

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Gunny, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Gunny

Gunny Retired Jarhead Moderator

Still working through this lot of stamps that I purchased several weeks back. I've come across what I think is part of an older dealer lot. Here's the page of 3c Washingtons. There are 20 Scott numbers that cover these 3c Washingtons, see http://www.theswedishtiger.com/ID333.html. It all depends on perforations, watermark or lack of watermark and the type of printing that was used (Rotary, Flat or Offset). I need to get me a watermark kit and a perforation gauge before I can dig in and figure out what is what. I was immediately struck by the difference in color, especially the last two on the second row. Interesting.

Interesting.jpg

James-2489 likes this.
  2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

The Washington/Franklin era of U.S. philately has to be one of the most interesting areas to dig into. You have a nice page of 3c Washington stamps. The color variances on the page are exemplary of the range of colors you would expect to find. I think you will have some fun with this area and hopefully some pleasant surprises, I certainly did.

jim likes this.
  3. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

Nice stamps...

Noted in the Amos Catalogue today (Linn's advertisement): there is a light you can get now which supposedly shows the watermarks without fluid... I am thinking about investing in one of those for the same reasons: I have a bunch of1c, 2c,and 3c stamps that have a large number of varieties.

4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Re: shows the watermarks without fluid.

Am I wrong to state that the watermark of the 3c Washingtons are on fairly thickish paper not thin paper at all ?
    That would make it easier to distinguish using some fluid or even plane water (if you have drieing time).

The expertiser would emphasize that colour reference on a scan via the net is not very reliable and a study in hand would give other results than anticipated.

Colour is very much influenced by previous owners or handler from the time these are separated from the envelope due to method and storage.

So in all you would be the best judge.

Enjoy.

Gunny likes this.
  5. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

The water fluid would definitely make the mark more visible... most watermarks on postage stamp paper are impressed into the paper and therefore a little thinner than that without watermark.

A good article I found in research... http://www.hobbizine.com/page0023.html when I searched for watermarks.

As for color: you have different formulations of ink (most are proprietary) with different printers as well as the effects of light, moisture, chemical (from mounts and/or chemistry of paper) and heat exposure and other factors to contend with.

I have been watching other threads where some are trying to use the RGB coloration of computer monitor pixels to better identify tones, shades, and color... as far as I have been able to determine, it is still a crap shoot until someone gets a color standard (and accepted calibration of that standard) for the scanners and display monitors on the market: all of them need to show the same carmine color for example. How many times have you gone into a store and the same picture on different brands of TV's are noticeably different in hue, contrast, and sometimes even color???

Same goes for the color chips: Stanley Gibbons, Pantone, and others are also noticeably different when put side to side.

6. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

Colour identification at best can be problematic. But you have answered it yourself, different TVs and as monitors give different light quality making correct colour identification a hit or mis.
    No matter what process you use identifying watermarks if you know what to look for you'll become an expert after the first thousand.

Gunny likes this.
  7. James-2489

James-2489 Well-Known Member

Very interesting, looks like I'll have to go through my spares again and my US album in the UK.... eventually.
    Regards, James.

8. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

As it happens my monitor packed up and connected a flat-bed.

Your scan 3c values all look brighter, so the colour may mislead from viewer to viewer.

Draft saved Draft deleted