3 cent Washington rose c grill?

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Charles martens, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Charles martens

Charles martens New Member

This a c grill? Value? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412551528.491948.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412551535.800940.jpg

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

A "C" grille is a pattern that measures 13 X 16 millimeters. It typically has 16 to 17 by 18 to 21 points to it. Verifying those facts usually requires good magnification and a good slim pointer. Value is entirely dependent on centering, condition, perfs and certification. The stamp shown if it were to be a genuine "C" grille would not be valued at catalogue price because of several flaws.

3. Charles martens

What grade would it be? I am brand new to stamps, and I am very eager to learn.

4. Hochstrasse

Since the perforations on the right side are into the design it would grade "fine" with faults. The faults include short perfs and pulled perf. I can't be sure but it looks as if there are very small tears on the right side as well.

5. Charles martens

Ok, thanks! I couldn't find anything on this stamp with a z grill? What would the value be? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412681719.956400.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412681757.056206.jpg

6. Hochstrasse

Value is always what a buyer is willing to pay for something. The "Z" grille you have posted has F/VF centering with faults. I'm guessing the back scan has a "hinge remnant". Were it a genuine "Z" grille it would command a small fraction of it's catalogue value due to the short perfs and pulled perfs.

7. Charles martens

So it is or isn't?

8. Hochstrasse

It is impossible for me to tell from the scans whether either stamp is a "C" or "Z" grille. That is why I mentioned the pointer and illuminated magnification in my first comment. It isn't easy to measure grille patterns or count points even with a stamp at hand.

9. Charles martens

Ok, thanks for your help. Stamps are very confusing, I'm used to coins and coin errors, guess it's a learning process like anything else

10. Hochstrasse

You are correct, but it is not unlike coins though. A few tools in either case are essential. I have several lens of varying degrees of magnification, some illuminated some not. I have short scales with inches and millimeters as well as other tools. Some are useful in both hobbies, some are not. Finding some of the detail on coins is about as frustrating in some cases as finding details on stamps.

11. Charles martens

Yes it is. Some coins have 100's of different degrees of errors on a single one!

Hochstrasse likes this.
  12. littleriverphil

littleriverphil Active Member

Try lighting the stamp from the side. I have a small Maglite that I use. Lay it on the desk with the stamp in front in the lights beam, helps show the grills better, by increasing the shadows of the grill.

Sometimes if you turn the stamp 90 degrees on the scanner bed, you will get a different view of the grill. This is a U.S. Scott #136, A National split I grill, as you can see by turning the stamp I was able to get a better view of the grill, because of the different angle of the scanner's light source. Raising one side of the stamp to get an angled view sometimes also works.

scan angles.JPG

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted