3 cent blue Washington

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Tommytom, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

I can't seem to find anything on A George Washington 3 cents blue stamp. I'm new to this forgive my ignorance. Could someone point me in the right direction

Attached Files:

2. Molokai

Molokai Moderator Moderator

Welcome! It appears to be what is called a 'color-changling.' Not uncommon for purple/violet stamps. The reds fade when exposed to sunlight leaving the blue.

Others may check in with perhaps different ideas.

I hope you enjoy StampExchange and continue to share with us. We're a rather eclectic group and have quite a few experts I call the Brain Trust.' (Alas, I am not one of them.)

Cappy likes this.
  3. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

No there is definitely no trace of violat Pigment. It is most definitely blue .most deafening not Faded. 20190206_164156.jpg 20190206_164156.jpg

4. Tommytom

Tommytom New Member

Sunlight makes a big difference I see is this better photograph 20190206_165945.jpg

5. They also used less die to make them during the war, some are almost grey in color.

DonSellos likes this.
  6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Hi Tommytom!

The Scott catalog does not list a blue variety for the 3c design number A140. It's definitely a color changling in my opinion, either from chemicals used for detecting watermarks, sunlight or dye degradation.

DonSellos likes this.
  7. JCG

JCG Member

I agree with with Richard and Hochstrasse. For it to be a "true blue" version, I would suspect that at least one would have been discovered since it was issued 115 years ago. But if you want to dare the odds, submit it to one of the certification agencies.

DonSellos likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted