23 Flags

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by Makanudo, May 22, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Moderator Moderator

I havent seen so many stamps on one cover before:

o00iji.jpg

2. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Best Answer
    As Amelia correctly noted "Every cover tells a story."

A cover with a number of stamps on it is most always interesting and attractive. It will become more so the older it gets.

In 1984 it would have been unusual to see a registered cover with any stamps on it. This cover has $4.60 postage and it was obviously mailed at a post office, (registered with return receipt and registry backstamps would require interaction with a postal clerk), so why did the sender choose to put 23 stamps on it rather than give the postal clerk a $5 bill or credit card, let him/her put a meter strip on it, and take .40 cents change? Maybe he just had a bunch of stamps on hand and wanted to use them, didn't have the cash or credit card to pay for it at the time of mailing, or he was a stamp collector and want to make an interesting cover. The stamps are all coils so he probably had a roll of coil stamps with him. I'd almost bet the sender was a plate number coil collector and these stamps were left overs from a roll of coils.

It appears to have contained a Christmas or New Year's message of some kind. Who knows, maybe he was sending some good stamps from one collector to another. Some thing of some value was in the cover or the sender would probably not have gone to the expense of registering it with a return receipt.

Don

Makanudo likes this.
  3. amelia88

amelia88 Member

Wow! I feel like basically every square inch on there is filled with a stamp! And if not a stamp, it's the address!

Every cover tells a story!

Makanudo likes this.
  4. DonSellos

If that is a 21st century cover the sender must be a stamp collector.

Makanudo, out of curiosity, when was it mailed? There should be a date stamp on the back of the cover.

Don

5. Makanudo

Heres a scan of the back:

84us.jpg
    I can see only year - 1984.

6. DonSellos

In 1984 the rate for a one ounce letter was still .20. So, he was using current stamps. Still, a lot of them though. U.S. registry rates are outrageously high. Interesting cover!

Don

7. Makanudo

I am glad you people like the cover. I found it nice and interesting, but I was afraid I was showing a common thing, since I do not have the experience that most of you have.
    :cool:

8. DonSellos

Best Answer
    As Amelia correctly noted "Every cover tells a story."

A cover with a number of stamps on it is most always interesting and attractive. It will become more so the older it gets.

In 1984 it would have been unusual to see a registered cover with any stamps on it. This cover has $4.60 postage and it was obviously mailed at a post office, (registered with return receipt and registry backstamps would require interaction with a postal clerk), so why did the sender choose to put 23 stamps on it rather than give the postal clerk a $5 bill or credit card, let him/her put a meter strip on it, and take .40 cents change? Maybe he just had a bunch of stamps on hand and wanted to use them, didn't have the cash or credit card to pay for it at the time of mailing, or he was a stamp collector and want to make an interesting cover. The stamps are all coils so he probably had a roll of coil stamps with him. I'd almost bet the sender was a plate number coil collector and these stamps were left overs from a roll of coils.

It appears to have contained a Christmas or New Year's message of some kind. Who knows, maybe he was sending some good stamps from one collector to another. Some thing of some value was in the cover or the sender would probably not have gone to the expense of registering it with a return receipt.

Don

Makanudo likes this.
  9. Makanudo

Don,

Your answer shows me just how complex this hobby is and huw much there is for me to learn.
    Inside was this postcard, and inside postcard I am guessing stamps.

ces.jpg

Here is another cover from same participants with nice stamps.

cov2.jpg

Gunny likes this.
  10. SATX Collector

SATX Collector Remember the Alamo!

I've probably got that many in a box set aside, but not all in one place!

But I DO have a box somewhere in my bulk paper that has old stamps covering the top side and bottom side... never really thought about taking a picture of it and posting. If I can find it I will put it on this page.

Makanudo likes this.
  11. DonSellos

Makanudo:

It looks to me like Walt and Vojin were stamp traders, and I'll bet you're correct about the postcard containing stamps. It looks like something was attached to the left hand page. A glassine packet of stamps, perhaps?

Don

12. Makanudo

Don:

I think you are right on all counts. They were traders for sure, but I also believe they were friends. That is the mark of something being attached on the left side for sure. I also hate writing of them in past tense, but I believe that if Vojin was still around, his letters wouldnt find their way to the flea market.

Draft saved Draft deleted