2 cent 1954 Jefferson Scott 1033 (unusual brightness and stiffness)

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by willard theodore frye, Jul 28, 2018.

1. I have found (they were stuck together) two scott 1033 2 cent Jefferson stamps. I have other 1033's but these two are unusually bone white on the back. They are also
    stiffer, the front is very shiny and the color is very bright. Could anyone please comment?

2. any photos to have a glance??

3. Here they are.....

Attached Files:

4. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

If you are theorizing that they may be the silkote paper variety density and shine are what differentiates the two varities, color is not. Checking both varieties under magnification is what you should be doing before taking any other steps.

5. What should i see under magnification? If you look at back of stamps at full magnification it looks like its woven?

6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Well-Known Member

You should see an obvious difference between the garden variety 2c Jefferson and the silkote variety with respect to paper density and sheen of the paper. This is what I have read. Of course if you think you have the variety you should have it expertised. Stiffness may or may not indicate the variety depending on how the stamp has been affected environmentally.

Draft saved Draft deleted