1913 panama-pacific perforated 12

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by noble-history, Apr 5, 2013.

1. noble-history

noble-history Member

Sorry... another question guys.. I warned I would ask a few :p Are these stamps(well I guess all stamps in general)worth more when attached to each other? on cover specifically...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Steve Robinson likes this.
  2. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

What is collected as you have shown is not the stamps but the cancellation (called Flag Cancels) and some are really scarce I am to believe.

You would need to get more information/ literature on this.

3. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

The second stamp is damaged which I think lower its value. Also I think if the cover is whole, it could have more value. :D

Jay likes this.
  4. Philactica

Philactica Active Member

The damaged stamp can serve only to get a better one with that Flag cancel.

Of course the rule is a single stamp is always of lesser value than if it were on Cover.

Sadly many were seperated in this way we see in the scans bur would be of little value were they just stamps.

5. Sarahrtw

Sarahrtw Active Member

Ooh, that is an interesting cancel. I can't speak to value, I'll defer to the previous posters on that, but thanks for sharing anyway.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Does anyone here collect cancel by any chance?

7. zararina

Yes I would if there will be an opportunity. I am not particular to any stamp. :)

8. DonSellos

DonSellos Moderator Moderator

Flag cancels, no. Bullseyes, CDCs, & object cancels on stamps, yes.

Don

9. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

I collect precancels, hand cancels by town and state on cover, sock on the nose either on cover on not, and flags on cover like the one shown, bullseyes, numbers and other odd marks like the ones below. I also do first day cancels, ship cancels, flight cancels and space covers (mailed from launch site the day of the launch). Obviously I have way too many stamps and covers.

100_7085.JPG
    100_7083.JPG

10. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

Her are two I acquired last month at a show in Florida. the first is a bulls-eye and the second is a cut-cork cancel
    100_7087.JPG 100_7088.JPG

11. jim72051

jim72051 Active Member

Here are a couple flag cancels on covers. they each have a letter in the middle of the stripes that is missing on yours
    100_7099.JPG

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

"Your machine cancel was most probably made by an American machine that impressed a U. S. flag as the killer. These types of machines were in use for many years, and were the lifetime study of Frederick Langford. His book has remained the most comprehensive listing of such cancels. Some of the "flags" were in fact banners with slogans or post office branch names.

Note however, that the Time-Marking/Cummins company produced a single flag cancel machine for Lahaina, Hawaii. Otherwise, this style of cancel was not used by any other machine.

It should also be noted, that there were a number of flag cancels created as handstamps. They may look like American machine cancels, but are actually handstamps. They can usually be identified by the large postmark dial circle, much larger in diameter than the circle used by the American machine."

http://swansongrp.com/macht600.html

"APMC (American Postal Machine Company) introduced the flag cancel in 1894, which used the wavy lines of the cancel to depict an approximate image of an American flag. During the 1890s dozens of other companies got into the business, although most were short-lived, and only about six, including Pitney-Bowes, lasted past the 1920s."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_postmark

13. zararina

I like the stamps on those old covers above. I wanted to collect more covers in the future. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted