#1143 plate block dragged ink

Discussion in 'United States Stamps' started by redsox81, Jun 7, 2014.

1. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

This only has a cat value of less then $2 USD but I noticed that the top right stamp actually has a rather large ink drag from the machine or smear by whomever (not sure which) being that its not a single stamp but a plate block (leaving the dragged or smeared stamp different from the other three) it should have a pretty large increase in value? Wouldn't you think? I've seen low value plate blocks with one stamp with disturbed ink sell for a pretty decent amount, although it was not the #1143 like this one.

Attached Files:

2. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Very interesting production EFO you have there redsox81. I wouldn't venture a guess about it's retail value as I haven't really been in the market for EFO's in all my years as a collector. Perhaps someone more familiar with the EFO market could shed my light on it? It's a nice item even if it's value isn't significant.

3. Werner Salentin

Werner Salentin Well-Known Member

Don´t know what EFO stands for.But such smears on engraved stamps are
    common.In most places this would mean no increase in value.With a better
    quality control,it would have been sorted out as printers waste.
    However,maybe in the US they like such items.

4. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

Hoch, really? I would have thought you were an EFO type of collector. I really like anything out of the ordinary so I'm big on EFO's. I too think regardless of value its still pretty cool. I don't collect US past 1930 but this one is a little different and maybe a type of EFO so I added it to my collection.

Hochstrasse likes this.
  5. redsox81

redsox81 Active Member

U.S. collectors, at least I know for myself like my stamps as perfect and flawless as possible or as different and imperfect as possible (Not damaged) with little to no gray area. The term EFO is an abbreviation for "errors, freaks and oddities". I actually learned that phrase here.

6. Hochstrasse

Hochstrasse Moderator Moderator

Yeah generally that's correct, I have a couple of EFO's I got randomly from the USPS, but I don't generally search them out.

7. zararina

zararina Simply Me! :D

I think EFO stamps that are rare have higher value. (IMO)
    So, the question would be is if such ink/printing error is rare.

Draft saved Draft deleted